• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A Job Shadowing

mgendrich

I am deciding whether coding is the right career path for me. Has anyone heard of companies allowing job shadowing of coding offices.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
When I had my first job in HCC Coding at HealthRisk Partners (now Verisk), I had a mentor and she was my shadow person. She would check to see if I was doing the coding right and be there for any questions that I may have when I came across a chart that I could not understand. That job was a contract position through the company.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Do you mean what Carolyn described, or something different?? I think you mean that you (as a current non-coder) get to visit an office where coding is done for a couple days or a week; you follow around a designated coder, and get to observe, ask questions, attend any meetings that your designated coder goes to, etc. This way you will generally find out what goes on in the world of coding, or at least in that office. Then based on that experience you will have a deeper understanding what a coder's job is like. Is this correct?

Unfortunately, I have not heard of this type of experience being offered, but maybe others have. If so, please let us know!

mgendrich

Ruth, yes what you described is what I was referring to. I have researched all of the academic aspects of coding, but am now interested in seeing what a "day in the life" of a coder is like.

Carolyn, what you described is reassuring to hear as well.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
You might be interested in http://www.amazon.com/Career-Medical-Coding-ebook/dp/B00BEZ00ZA. That is the link to CCO's "A Career In Medical Coding" e-book. Chapter 2 is "A Day in the Life of a Coder" and you can read some of this chapter for free by clicking on the thumbnail of the book cover shown on this page, and then scroll down to see the text.

It is not what you specifically asked for, but might give you some info you are looking for, if you haven't read the book yet.